Those who installed the latest version of MSN Messenger ( Windows Live Messenger 2011) have found out that there’s simply no option to change their Nickname, the first and last name used for windows live is now showing up in the chat windows. At first sight, the user can’t change the nickname (display name). This feature (or lack of) comes with or without Windows Live Essentials package. As you could imagine, the option to add emoticons right next to your name is also gone, since punctuations mark are not allowed in the name fields in Windows Live Messenger 2011.
The good news for WLM 2011 is that there’s still a workaround this issue. One for those willing to change their real names used in services like hotmail, but there’s ultimately a better one if you can access any older version of MSN Messenger or Meebo with the nickname option. One last tip you need to know is that your current contacts are actually seing your old nickname if they have and older MSN Messenger version.
How to change your Nickname on Windows Live Messenger 2011 using an older MSN Version or Meebo.
- Log In to any PC that has a previous msn version (8.5 is the latest before the 2011 version).
- Change your Nickname, log out and that is it
- If you can access Meebo, log in to an individual MSN account. Then click on Set Display Name (a.k.a Nickname) the option is located right below your picture and status box.
How to change your Nickname on Windows Live Messenger 2011 using Windows Live Settings.
- First of all, sign in to your Windows Live Messenger 2011
- Now click on your username (located also below your picture and status/thoughts/share box.
- In the drop down menu, choose edit your name.
- The windows live name edition page will open, just change your first and last name as you please, but remember that this is also the information used for hotmail and other Live services.