After upgrading MSN Messenger 2009 to Windows Live Messenger 2011, many users found that all their contacts appeared offline (different from contacts dissapeared on wlm 2011). This issue also occurs after adding a new contact on WLM 2011, despite both being with an online status. Signing out and in doesn’t solve it. Deleting the entire lists and re-adding one by one doesn’t work either. Uninstalling the program failed as well. Read the tips below it gathers all possible steps to solve it.
Solution to Contacts Appearing Offline on Windows Live Messenger 2011.
- Sign out and exit MSN 2011
- Head to Control Panel >> Programs >> Programs and Features >> Choose Windows Live Essentials 2011 and click on Uninstall/Change, Finally in the popup window, choose Repair All Windows Live Programs.
- Go to C:\Users\WINUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft . Delete the Windows Live Contacts folder
- Go to C:\Users\WINUSERNAME\ delete the Contacts folder
- If after signing in the problem persists go to C:\Users\WINUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Messenger . Backup the entire folder email@example.com and then proceed to delete it. If you have emoticons and display pictures you will then be able to restore them from the backup.